We were looking at different marketing techniques to promote forestry project, we also looked at carbon trading through forestry projects as an option to promote agroforestry among small farmers. Gradually we realized one thing, CDM, carbon trading,CER, these buzz words were not a farmers cup of tea. Here are few reasons.
- The technicality is too hard for anybody to understand let alone the farmers
- The project registration is fee it too high, it might be much higher than credits you get. Just check the data here.
- The credits are much lower than energy projects since forestry in most cases will be Temporary CERs.
- Land requirements are pretty complex
- The consultant charges are too high!!!!! Yes you need one.
- Most of all CDM is governed by National government... You don't need a better reason to back off. Here is the Indian version. If you are interested in a forestry project, first thing you will notice in this website - There is no forestry project section !!!!! But luckily you can find one such project registered.
So you own a waste land in your home town and what to do forrestion for carbon credits, you may have to think twice. The initial investment would be too high and unaffordable, rather a simple aggroforestry would work wonders for you or you may end looking for other voluntary carbon standards.